Johnnie Walker Insurance - For All Your Insurance Needs



Q: What are the advantages to using an agent to purchase insurance?

A: By using an agent to purchase insurance, the policyholder receives more personal service. An agent with whom there is direct contact can be vital when purchasing a product and absolutely necessary when filing a claim. A local, independent agent is able to deliver quality insurance with competitive pricing and local personalized service.


Q: Who is covered under an auto policy?

A: Your policy covers you, your spouse, other relatives who live in your household and others who have permission to drive one of your covered vehicles. In a No-fault insurance state, your own policy would provide coverage for bodily injury and/or property damage without regard to fault. Some policies have Named Operator provisions which requires that all drivers must be listed on the policy to be covered.

Q: Are there other, optional coverages available?

A: Once you've met the minimum legal liability requirements, you should select other types and amounts of coverage to tailor your policy to your own needs. In addition to Liability coverage to protect you when you do damage to others, here's what an auto policy may cover:

Damage to your car.
Your car may be covered against collisions it may have with any other object, if you select collision coverage. Your car may also be covered against damage caused by other events such as vandalism, theft, broken glass, storms and falling objects, if you select "other than collision" coverage.

You and your passengers against uninsured or underinsured motorists.
If you're hit by someone who either doesn't have insurance or doesn't have enough insurance to cover the accident, uninsured motorist coverage and underinsured motorist coverage may provide additional protection. (In some states this coverage is mandatory.)

You and your passengers for medical costs.
Your policy may provide coverage for reasonable and necessary medical and/or funeral expenses incurred as a result of injuries sustained in an accident, if you select medical payments coverage and/or, if available in your state, personal injury protection coverage.

Q: What is Uninsured Motorists Car Damage coverage?

A: Uninsured Motorists Car Damage coverage pays for damage to your automobile, that you are legally entitled to recover from an uninsured motorist, when caused by an accident where there is physical contact with the uninsured motorist's vehicle. Coverage provisions include a requirement that either the uninsured motorist be identified, or that the uninsured vehicle be identified by its license number. In addition, the accident report must be made available to us within 10 business days following the loss.

The coverage is limited to the lesser of: (1) the amount necessary to repair your car, (2) the actual cash value of your car, minus the value of the salvage, or (3) $3,500.

Q: Do I need to notify the insurance agency if my teenager is now driving the vehicle?

A: Yes. Once your teenage driver receives their driver's license, they must be listed as an operator on your automobile insurance policy, if they do not have an insurance policy of their own. In addition, they would be a listed operator on the policy regardless of the amount of time they spend driving a vehicle.

Q: What are some practical things I can do to lower my automobile insurance rates?

A: There are a number of things you can do to lower the cost of your automobile insurance. The easiest thing to do is ask us to get quotes from several companies for you.

It is not uncommon to find quotes on automobile insurance that can vary by hundreds of dollars for the same coverage on the same car. When you shop, be careful to make sure each insurer is offering the same coverage.

Another way to lower the cost of your automobile insurance is to look for any discounts for which you may qualify. For example, many insurers will offer you a discount if you insure multiple cars under the same policy or if you have had a driver education class in the last five years. Be sure to ask us about their discount plans.

Another easy way to lower the cost of your automobile insurance is to increase the deductible. Simply raising your deductible from $250 to $500 can lower your premium sometimes by as much as five or ten percent.

Q. What is actual cash value (ACV) vs. replacement cost coverage?

A: All auto policies are written for ACV. Because of the generally large availability of used vehicles, auto settlement values are determined by similar vehicles available in the market. Homeowners can endorse their policy to change their ACV to replacement cost coverage. ACV is based on the cost to replace with a new comparable item, less depreciation based on the age of the lost or damaged item. Replacement cost equals a new item's cost without depreciation.


Q: I'm just getting my business started. Do I need insurance immediately?

A: Yes. Your chance of suffering a loss begins with the first day of business. If you suffer a loss and have no insurance or have improper or insufficient coverage, your insurance agent can do little, if anything, to help you.

Also, many states and local jurisdictions require businesses to have insurance to begin operating. And if you rent space for your business, your landlord probably requires you to obtain adequate insurance.

Q: Does insurance coverage vary for different businesses?

A: It can. Many small businesses opt for package policies that cover the major Property and Liability exposures as well as for a loss of income. A common package policy used by many small businesses is called the Business Owners Policy (BOP).

Generally, BOPs provide more complete coverage at a lower price than separate policies for each type of insurance needed. We can help you decide which policy or policies are right for your business. You can also purchase additional coverage for perils or conditions otherwise excluded (e.g., flood protection) as endorsements to a standard policy or as a separate, second policy called a Difference in Conditions (DIC) policy.


Q: How much life insurance should I get?

A: If you are single with little or no assets to protect, you should have a $5000.00 policy to cover your final expenses. Couples should have enough insurance to cover all their assets and final expenses. You should also have your policy checked and updated as time goes by. We offer this as a free service and many times we can save you money on your old policy or get you a higher face amount for the same premium you are now paying. Take the time to check with us about this, it cost nothing to find out.


Q: I'll soon be renting my own apartment. Is there insurance for that?

A: Yes. Renters insurance is a policy to protect your property and to protect you against liability. For example, if someone slips and falls in your apartment, you may be held liable if there is an injury. Renters insurance would cover that accident. All your possessions up to the monetary limits listed in your policy also would be covered for specified damages (both at home and when you travel).

If somebody sues for damages caused by you or your possessions (other than a vehicle covered by your auto insurance policy), your renters insurance policy would cover the cost of the lawsuit -- both defending it and settling it, if necessary -- up to the limit of coverage chosen.

Q: Does my landlord's insurance protect me?

A: Generally, no. The property owner's insurance covers the building itself and seldom a tenant's possessions or liability. Clarify this with your landlord before signing a lease.